Pipkin Family Association

Lewis Jesse & Frances Madison Pipkin

Submitted by Cindi Higgins

Jesse Hughes Pipkin, son Lewis Jesse Pipkin & Frances Madison

Jesse Hughes Pipkin
Born: Dec. 3, 1836
Place: Tennessee
Married: Sarah Aiken or Akin
When: Sept. 28, 1857; Greene County, Missouri
Children: William Harvey, George Washington, John, Sarah, Olivia, Robert, Jesse, Emmet, Charles, Edwin, James
Died: April 15, 1910, blood poisoning
Burial: Bass Cemetery, 4 miles southeast of Fair Grove
Bought: Sec. 29, T31, R20W (80 acres w. of Fair Grove)

His father was: LEWIS JESSE Pipkin
Born: April 10, 1811, Tennessee
Married: March 5, 1829, Tennessee
Church: Methodist Episcopal
Profession: Farmer (bought Sec. 7, T30, R20)
Wealth: 1851 Tax Book showed he owned 3 horses ($75), 14 cattle ($120), and one "pole"
Died: Nov. 13, 1871, age 60
Burial: Elm Spring Cemetery, 3 miles south of Fair Grove
Parents: Jesse Pipkin and Mary Ann (Witcher)

His mother was FRANCIS MADISON
Born: Jan. 15, 1814
Place: North Carolina
Died: Dec. 6, 1870, age 56
Burial: Elm Spring Cemetery

Jesse Pipkin, son of Lewis and Frances. Jesse farmed in the Fair Grove, Missouri, his whole life. Here is from his obituary.

"Through all the years of coming and going of friends and neighbors in their restless shifting about, he remained attached to the old home spot. Yet he was not narrowed by his prescribed associations but was well acquainted with the outside world, though he rarely visited it. He was broad and liberal minded."

He died at age 73 at his home of septic poisoning, ill five days. He had just spent several months visiting his sons in California. His nine boys, and two daughters, all survived him. Jesse, was one of the only Pipkins to stay in the Fair Grove area. Only three of his children made their home in the area (Springfield, Fair Grove, and Marshfield). Four went to various California cities, one to Berlin, Oklahoma, another to Roberts, Illinois; and one to Mead, Kansas. One daughter went to Golden City, of which state was not mentioned.

[Source: 1860/1870 census; 1876 Green Co. Atlas; Frank Vose, CA; cemeteries; Sanders Bible; Francis Roberts, age 64, lived with family in 1860 & the Roberts family lived next to them]

Cynthia Jane Pipkin Huggins, daughter of
William Harvey Pipkin & Christina "Tena" Hoover

John Newton Huggins

John Reuben Huggins, son of Cynthia & John Newton Huggins

Helen Pipkin Huggins, daughter of Cynthia & John Newton Huggins,
on the day she married Jacob W. Sanders, Nov. 23, 1915 in Springfield, Missouri

Lewis Felix Pipkin, the son of William Harvey Pipkin
and brother of Cynthia Jane Pipkin Huggins

Lewis Felix Pipkin Obituary

William Harvey Pipkin was the son of FRANCES MADISON and LEWIS JESSE Pipkin (b. 1810 in Tennessee), the son of MARY ANN WITCHER and JESSE Pipkin born 1785, Dobbs County, North Carolina

LEWIS JESSE Pipkin was the son of CLEMENCY HUGHES and LEWIS Pipkin born about 1762/1753??

LEWIS Pipkin was the son of FEREBRA and JESSE Pipkin born 1727

JESSE Pipkin was the son of JOHN Pipkin christened March 14, 1675 in Stanbridge, County Bedford, England

These Pipkin accounts were written by Cindy Higgins in 1993 and revised in 2004.

Christina "Tena" Hoover married William Harvey Pipkin, son of Lewis and Frances Madison (both of English descent.) The Lewis Pipkin family, with their 15 children, came to Green County, Missouri, from Rutherford County, Tennessee, in 1839. They farmed 80 acres in Elm Springs (directly adjacent to the western city limits of Fair Grove).

W. H. Winton tells of the young William's life.

"...in the new home, hard work, pure air, and plenty of wholesome food furnished the conditions of growth. As he was among the oldest, it fell to his lot to take the lead and assist his father in the management of affairs. This gave him lessons in self-control and independence, an excellent preparation for the responsible places he was called to fill in after years. At about the age of seventeen, an incident occurred in the life of the young man which was to mold all his future purposes.

With others of the family he attended meetings at the old gathering place of Israel, Ebinezer Camp Ground, how sacred the place, where a hundred battles have been fought and won by veterans who have since stacked their arms and stepped over to join the church triumphant. This was in the fall of 1848. At this meeting he professed religion and in 1849 joined the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and was baptized by Rev. H. G. Joplin and from that to the day of his departure his name continued on the church rolls.

As was beautifully said at his burial service by one of our brethren, his life was a living illustration of the beautiful hymn--

"I love Thy church, 0 God!
Her walls before Thee stand,
Dear as the apple of Thine ye,
And grave as Thy hand.
For her my tears shall fall,
For her my prayers ascend,
To her my cares and toils be given,
Till tolls and cares shall end.

"On the 11th day of March, 1852, he was married to Miss Christiana Hoover, a fitting name for the wife of such a man, and a woman worthy the name. The numbers of tired preachers who have found warm welcome under their roof, and the wide circle of personal friends, can all testify that this was a happy Christian home. After he was married he lived for a while on a farm in the neighborhood [Franklin Township). In 1857, he moved to Bourbon County, Kansas [the city of Fort Scott] and entered the mercantile business.

"He continued here only a little while. These were troublesome times in that country, and as he had no taste for strife, he retuned to his old home in Missouri. He continued selling goods, having located at Fair Grove till 1860. He then went to the farm again. In 1863, he took a position in Springfield, and was here till 1865. He then entered a partnership with Murrill and Bass, at Fair Grove, in general merchandise. In 1879, he returned to Springfield and took a partnership with J. M. Dolling, in the same business. Here he continued until appointed postmaster of the City of Springfield, by Mr. Cleveland in 1884, in which office he sewed with rare efficiency and acceptability till 1888.

"He was honest, affable, and energetic and drew to him all who admired these noble qualities. His friends were numerous; they were of all classes in society, all political parties, societies and churches. He was a man of strong convictions, but was always respectful to the opinions of others. No pen but that of the recording angel can describe such a life as his. His duties to the church, he always held to be of prime importance.

"He was a very busy man, but business was made to submit to religion. He did not receive an election to Conference, District, Annual or General, and then stay at home. He was twice elected to General Conference; and to the District and Annual Conferences, I suppose no one knows the number of times.

"Mr. Pipkin was a fine judge of men. His counsel on committees and Conference Boards was of great value. At the time of his death, he was a steward in St. Paul's Church, a Sunday School teacher, a trustee of Campbell Street Church, a member of our Conference Board of Missions, and of the Board of Curator of Morrisville College. I suppose he filled most, if not all, the offices open to a laymen in the Methodist Church. Active, watchful, and devoted, his work was invaluable; and his place will be hard to fill. He was not a pretentious man, his modesty and reticence often kept him from saying anything in public; however he had positive convictions, and in personal intercourse he ardently pressed his cause.

'He was a man of admirable self-control, and this gave him wonderful influence over others. He had a pleasant address, and took special notice of young men; and these two characteristics enabled him to do much good. Sister Pipkin and six children still wait below; he meets two little ones on the shining shore, who went over years ago. Is it surprising that the five daughters and one son are walking in the way their father and mother have walked, and are all on their way to the home on high? All are married, and so far as I know, the daughter-in-laws and all the sons-in-law are religious, too. Oh that all who love him may patiently imitate his example and meet in "the sweet by and by..."

Another lengthy 1895 obituary said "Springfield lost one of its most estimable and highly esteemed citizens--a man who was unostentatious, modest, upright in all his dealings and beloved by everybody fortunate enough to make his acquaintance." The notice said that he had a carbuncle on his neck three weeks before his death, "which terminated in blood poisoning. For a while it was believed that he would recover, but the best medical skill was futile and he gradually sank day by day." Also mentioned was Pipkin's new real estate business.

Of his appointment to postmaster, another newspaper reporter before William's death wrote, "It was expected by many that he would be the last one selected, not on account of any demerit duty simply by reason of his retiring, modest disposition. . . Of medium height he possesses a form that shows the early vigor he obtained off a farm is far from being exhausted. His brown hair and beard, are sprinkled with gray, but his eye and voice are clear and his steps springy as a man of thirty years.."

At one time Pipkin was a county collector candidate defeated by only eight votes. His friends encouraged him to contest the election, but he refused. A county history describes him as 'a man of excellent business ability, broad-minded, well-informed, scrupulously honest and true friend and genteel gentleman."

Pipkin Junior High School was named after William Harvey Pipkin, a school board member at the time, and stood at 1101 Boonville Avenue, the site of Pipkin's original residence.

Cynthia Jane Pipkin
Cynthia (known as "Janie"), oldest daughter of Christina and William Pipkin, was diagnosed with diabetes in her teen aged years, and suffered with the disease her entire life. On March 24, 1887, Cynthia and Rev. John Newton Huggins were married by Rev. Corona H. Briggs, the same minister who would read services at their burials.

John Huggins was from Illinois where his family had lived near East St. Louis since the early 1800s. His possibly Irish-born grandfather Patrick Huggins is the first known of the Huggins. He died young in Illinois with his wife during a cholera epidemic. Son Reuben stayed in St. Clair County, Illinois, and married Francesca Nixon from Ohio.

From the minutes of the 21st Session of the Western North Carolina Annual Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South in 1910, we learn of John Huggins from an obituary written by Harold Turner. From this work, Turner said that Huggins was born near Bellville, Illinois, August 31, 1856 and joined the Methodist Church when he was 1 4 years old while a student at Mc Kendree College in Lebanon, Illinois. Upon graduation in 1874, he returned to BelIville where he studied and later practiced law for two years.

Ten years later he joined the Southwest Missouri Conference in which he ministered at Carthage, Kansas City (Brooklyn Avenue), Springfield, Jefferson City, and Marshall. In Jefferson City, he and Cynthia "a true and faithful helpmate amid the joys and sorrows of an itinerant Methodist preacher's life" underwent the death of son Harvey, age 7, from blood poisoning, leaving them their two younger children, Helen Pipkin and John Reuben ("Reuben"). (A stained glass window was donated to the Jefferson City church in Harvey's memory, according to William Huggins Sanders.)

John wrote of son Harvey:
"He had been ill for some weeks, but we were not alarmed, and we thought he would soon be himself again. But on Monday, before he became worse, I returned from Conference, expecting to find him about well, but only to see that he would soon leave us. About one-half hour before he died, he looked up unto his mother's face and said, 'I am dying, mama,' repeating this expression several times. A few minutes more he turned his face toward the wall and in feeble accents, said, 'I am leaving you. I can't talk.' These were his last words. His mother asked, 'Harvey, are you going to Jesus?' The little head nodded affirmatively. 'Do you see grandpa?' The dear boy nodded yes, and then sweetly and quietly he fell asleep."

Huggins was transferred to the Western North Carolina Conference in 1899 and served in Asheville (Haywood Street), Concord (Forest Hill), Lexington, and finally Statesville as the Presiding Elder.

Turner writes that Huggins was a "modest man and of a retiring disposition, seldom, if ever, seen on the Conference floor yet he had decided convictions and when the opportunity came for the expression of them he never failed to show the courage to do so.

'As a pastor he was most highly respected and beloved wherever he went. Child-like in faith, simple in life, a man of broad information and culture, he drew to him with equal veneration and love, the rich and the poor, the old and the young. The poor felt that in him they had a friend to whom they could go in sorrow, being assured of real sympathy, whilst business men realized that any important matters confided to him would receive careful consideration and any advice which he gave was valuable, because of his practical knowledge of business."

Turner also writes that Huggins was "sympathetic beyond the ability sometimes to realize" and "it may be truly said of him he carried his work on his heart." Huggins read the work of great theologians, and also fiction and biography to a great extent. In his sermons he Huggins quoted from the classics, which was appreciated by his congregations."

At a Methodist convention in Hickory, North Carolina, Huggins contracted a cold that he seemingly rallied from on his return home to Statesville. He preached an 11 a.m. service with unusual vigor on November27 at one church and then a night service at another. The next day his cold worsened to pneumonia, and with his frail constitution, he was unable to overcome the disease.

He died on the night of Sunday, Dec. 5. The next day, a memorial service led by five ministers (including Turner) and attended by a large delegation of Masons, of which he was a member, from Lexington. On Dec. 9, Rev. Briggs a family friend and St. Paul Methodist Church pastor, and Turner conducted the funeral service in Springfield. Huggins was buried in Maple Park Cemetery in Springfield.

Cynthia returned to Springfield on her husband's death and lived with her children at 312 Kimbrough Avenue in the present downtown section of Springfield. She was accomplished in needlework (particularly in appliquéd quilts, embroidery, and linen adornment), active in the church, entertained and fed traveling Methodist ministers, and remained in close contact with her siblings. When she died at age 71 while living with her daughter, Helen, at the Kimbrough home, her obituary was titled, "A Remarkable Life."

John "Reuben" Huggins
Having a father in the ministerial field meant a continual round of church-related activities. Maybe too much for Reuben Huggins, said to be a "rake" in his youth. He left home to work for an oil company in Michigan and married "Dee," who had a daughter from her former marriage. Upon retirement, Reuben and Dee moved to Florida where Reuben made shell and other art creations that he often sent to his sister Helen.

Helen Pipkin Huggins
Helen Huggins, taught at home until age 14 by her father, studied music at a female academy in Statesville. Times were often hard, and Helen's daughter remembered Helen saying that the family was so poor that they had to "get clothes from a basket" at times.

Auburn-haired, 5' 1" Helen, an accomplished pianist, taught piano and spent a great deal of time in church activities. She referred to herself as being from North Carolina, even though she only spent six years there. Yet during that time her family did live near the former Goss plantation owned by her great-great grandfather less than a hundred years earlier. In her later years, Helen lived in Kansas City, Missouri, and played cards with friends, followed politics, and read novels and the newspaper avidly. Arthritis prevented her from playing the baby grand piano that sat in her living room, however, she enjoyed televised music shows, saying often, "The most wonderful life one can have must be that of a professional musician."

Helen married Jacob Warren Sanders, of Billings, Missouri, in 1915. Sanders, like Helen, came from enterprising emigrants. On his mother's side, they were fresh from England, and on his father's, community leaders. Sanders was involved in several business enterprises, including a chain of general stores and Anchor Manufacturing in Springfield. Their three children, all living at this time were John Warren Sanders (Durango, Colorado; William Huggins Sanders (Overland Park, Kansas, and Lane, Kansas); and Cynthia Jane (Sanders) Higgins (Lawrence, Kansas).

William Harvey Pipkin first farmed, then had general store in Fair Grove before founding Doling & Pipkin dry goods store in Springfield, Missouri. Pipkin Middle School, 1215 Boonville, was named after Pipkin, a school board member at the time in 1925 and owner of the land on which the school was built.

William Harvey Pipkin Family

William Harvey Pipkin first farmed, then had a general store in Fair Grove before founding Doling & Pipkin dry good store in Springfield, Missouri. Pipkin Middle School, 1215 Boonville, was named after Pipkin, a school board member at the time in 1925 and owner of the land on which the school was built.

Born: Dec. 24, 1831
Place: Rutherford County, Tennessee
Married: March 11, 1852
Place Greene County, Missouri
Church: Methodist Episcopal South
Profession: Dry goods store owner, postmaster
Died: Feb. 13, 1895, age 63
Place: Springfield, Missouri
Burial: Elm Spring Cemetery, near Fair Grove, Missouri
Father: Lewis Jesse Pipkin
Mother: Frances Madison

Born: Nov. 28, 1831
Place: Franklin Twp., Rowan County, NC
Died: Feb. 1, 1902, age 72
Burial: Elm Spring Cemetery, near Fair Grove
Church: Methodist Episcopal South
Father: Felix Hoover
Mother: Sarah Goss


1. Sarah
Died: as infant; another infant died too

2. Cynthia Jane
Born: 1860
Where: Fair Grove, Missouri
Married: John Newton Huggins
Children: Helen, Reuben, Harvey
When: March 24, 1887
Where: Springfield, Missouri
Died: Sept. 23, 1932, age 72
Where: Springfield, Missouri

3. Lewis Felix
Born: Sept. 14, 1861
Where: Fair Grove, Missouri
Married: Lillie Murray, sister of William (see No. 6: Marietta)
When: May 6, 1886
Where: At home, 644 W. Walnut, Springfield, Missouri
Occupation: Book store owner, Springfield Wholesale Grocery bookkeeper
Died: "flu," April 1931, age 70
Where: Springfield, Missouri
Children: William, L. Murray, Louise (Jordan), Marguerite (Tisdale) (two daughters lived in Chicago, one in Kansas City

4. Margaret Alice "Allie"
Born: 1864
Married: John Barrett, druggist with Reed & Barret in North Springfield
When: Sept. 27, 1887, a Tuesday night, at parents home
Where: Springfield, Missouri
Groom's present: A "costly" cottage at Roberson Ave. & Park Street
Physical description: "a slight, dark-eyed brunette" (newspaper)

5. Rosena "Ida"
Born: 1866
Married: Kirk Morris
Where Springfield, Missouri
Final years: Mary E. Wilson Home, Springfield & died after 1944

6. Marietta "Etta" Pipkin
Born: 1869
Married: William D. Murray (1871-1929), vice-president Springfield Seed Company
Children: Margaret, 895 E. Walnut, (m. Forest Nichols), Helen, 1431 Madison (m. Joe Bradley)
Church: St. Paul Methodist (more than 60 years)
Died: Dec. 2, 1944, after 10 years illness and year in hospital; buried Maple Park Cemetery
Other: Lived in St. Louis at one time

7. Carrie Bell Pipkin
Born: Nov. 1, 1867
Married: Martin C. Baker who worked at Keet Rountree Dry Goods, 321 South Ave.
When: Nov. 21, 1889
Where: Springfield, Missouri
Died: Dec. 5, 1933 and buried in Maple Park Cemetery by sister Marietta

8. Infant
Died: Don't know when
John Newton Huggins Family

Born: Aug. 31, 1856; Lebanon/New Athens, Illinois
School: McKendree College (1871-6, A.B. degree)
Married: March 24, 1887
Place: Springfield, Missouri
Profession: Lawyer, minister (Methodist Episcopal South
Died: Dec. 5, 1909, age 53: Statesville, North Carolina
Burial: Maple Park Cemetery, Springfield
Father: John Reuben Huggins
Mother: Francesca Nixon

WIFE: CYNTHIA JANE ("Janie") Pipkin
Born: 1860
Place: Fair Grove, Missouri
Medical: Juvenile diabetes
Died: Sept. 23, 1932, age 72
Place: Springfield, Missouri
Burial: Maple Park Cemetery, Springfield
Father: William Harvey Pipkin
Mother: Christina Hoover

1. Harvey
Born: 1888
Died: Sept. 27, 1895, age 7, blood poisoning
Where: Jefferson City, Missouri

2. Helen Pipkin
Born: Dec. 13, 1892
Married: Jacob Warren Sanders, Jr.
When: Oct. 25, 1917
Where: Springfield, Missouri
Died: Nov. 3, 1981, age 88
Where: Kansas City, Missouri (nursing facility)
Burial: Forest Hill Cemetery, Kansas City, Missouri

3. John Reuben
Born: 1893
Married: Dee
Died: Self-inflicted gunshot, mid-1970s
Where: Florida
Children: 1 step-daughter
Other: Diabetic

John Newton Huggins practiced law with Wilderman & Hamill for two years in Belleville, Illinois, and then in Miami, Missouri, before entering the ministry in 1884 and practicing at Carthage, Brooklyn (KCMO), Springfield, Jefferson City, Marshall, and Asheville, Concord, Lexington, and Statesville in North Carolina. His obituary said he died of pneumonia and lived on Front Street. He had come to minister in North Carolina because he thought the climate would be good for his failing health. Described as "genial" and "kind," John was said to have two surviving brothers, both physicians, one in Belleville, and one in St. Louis. Another obituary, this one in Lexington Dispatch, said he was popular in Lexington, liberal minded, scholarly-minded, charming, lacked nothing in dignity, and had nothing of the clerical stuffiness about him.

The town of New Athens grew up along the Silver Creek settlement. For a time, it attracted many, but, by 1851, it had only five inhabitants. The number grew to several hundred with the addition of steamboats, a new mill, and other business ventures.

At one time, the traveling Huggins family resided at 221 E. 13th Street in Kansas City, Missouri.

See sources at McKendree College "Centennial" (1928), p. 246, and History of St. Claire County, Illinois, [Huggins' law office was in the Academy of Music Building], p. 96.

The former community of Elm Spring, about a mile and a half north of Fellows Lake, central Greene County, Missouri, got its name from a spring. By the spring mouth a monument says: "First used by settlers in 1830. The first church on the hill 150 yards east was built by the M E Church in 1850. The cemetery south of the church first used in 1861 and contains the remains of many early settlers and soldiers of War of 1812 and the Civil War. Take a drink of this pure water as a libation to the memory of those hardy pioneers" according to "Old Times Along The Buffalo-Sprinfield Road" by Marilyn K. Smith in a 1994 article.

Return to Homepage